Home / History

Glebe Court

Numbers 1~102 were built in 1950 and the first residents moved in, in the autumn of that year. They are a mixture of 1, 2 & 3 bedroom properties with wooden floors, fitted wardrobes and a hatch between the kitchen and lounge and also have quarry tiles in the hall. They were considered luxury flats at the time and were called ‘Giffords Folly’ because they were expensive to rent and difficult to let. Dick Gifford was a Councillor at that time.

Numbers 103~106 are bungalows for the elderly.

The 2nd half of the estate was built after that and finished in 1953 when the first residents moved in. In 1950 there was a shortage of bricks and the 2nd half of the Estate, numbers 107~264 are 2 bricks shorter in height and they do not have fitted wardrobes, wooden floors or a hatch. The floors are concrete and they have Marley tiles throughout. Another 8 bungalows were built.

There has always been a thriving Residents Association and in the early days we ran dances, bingo, trips, etc.

Almost 20 years ago we started taking over some of the responsibilities such as the gardening and the caretaking. From there we decided to train to become a TMO. We went live having had a very high vote from our residents to do so in 1998. We have to have a vote every 5 years to find out from the tenants whether they wish for the TMO to continue. We have always managed to find enough residents interested in serving on the committee and hopefully we will continue to be successful even with the problems in today’s society.

Glebe Square

On Saturday 18th February 1956, an official ceremony was held to commemorate the completion of Mitcham’s 2500th Post-War Dwelling at Glebe Square. Present at the ceremony were the Mayor of Mitcham and other dignitaries. The ground floor dwellings are for the elderly.